Indigenous Design Collective
We offer sustainable and resilient culturally based, community led infrastructure and economic planning.
This includes workshops and professional trainings for schools, community members, and professionals in natural/traditional building, community scale renewable energy development, water harvesting and treatment, and food sovereignty.
Sustainable Nation-Building Consulting
We can assist your Nation, community, organization, or family in mapping your vision for sustainability. We can assist you in exploring the different options available, including systemic sustainable land planning, economic development potentials, comprehensive community design, native landscape restoration, and more! We are available to provide assistance in strategic plan development, budget design, training and education, as well as installation/implementation of projects that serve the ecological and cultural health of your Nation.
- Professional ecological building training to tribal contractors, construction crews and community members
- Design and oversight of the construction of ecological buildings, and co-design of buildings based on traditional architecture and local materials.
- Design/build services, incorporating training for local people.
- Organization and facilitation of community-guided building design 'charrettes.'
Our specialties are: Straw Bale buildings, Form Adobe buildings, Historical adobe restoration and repair, Cob adobe furniture, Earthen oven construction, Adobe floor installation, Adobe and Lime Artistic Finish Plasters, "Green" Remodels
Sustainable Nations’ renewable energy staff is available to help your community, family, or Nation determine the best renewable energy match for your needs. We offer:
- Project planning services
- Energy site evaluations
- Energy Audits
- Design and installation of small to mid-scale renewable energy systems
- Professional training in solar, solar hot water, wind, and microhydroelectric energy
Traditional and Regenerative Food Systems
Sustainable Nations offers consulting in education, design, planning, and implementation of regenerative food systems that also encourage and support traditional seeds and food sources.
This includes: Organic and Sustainable Agriculture, Orchard Development, Integrated Pest Management, Community Farm Development, Large-scale Composting Operations, Water-Efficient Irrigation Systems, Medicinal Plant Gardens, Seed-Saving and Seed Bank Development
- Design and installation of wastewater treatment wetlands, graywater systems, rainwater catchment systems, and composting toilets.
- Professional training in the design and installation of these systems.
- Landscape planning for water efficiency.
- Water education
Restoration and Healing of Land
We are available to facilitate the healing and restoration of traditional Indigenous landscapes, through:
Mapping biological, hydrological, geological, and human cultural relationships within a certain Land areal; Co-Identifying and designing land restoration and healing strategies with your community, family, or Nation; Facilitation of the restoration/remediation project, identifying and managing any external support or partnerships necessary.